Autumn Fair Report, Tourmaline & Leftover Beads
9th November 2019
See us today or tomorrow, 9th-10th November at Kempton Park Gem n Bead Fair, London TW16 5AQ. The last & largest Kempton Gem n Bead 2019 – not to be missed! Easy parking near M25 and own railway station.
Then, the following weekend we’re at Brighton Gem n Bead Fair, Brighton Racecourse. Stay the weekend beside the sea.
See our many NEW beads from our 800 kg shipment of 37 boxes! Some already listed on our online shop, click New Beads.
All our shows booked so far this new year click 2019 Bead Fairs.
Autumn Bead Fair Reports
Tourmaline For Love & Friendship
How To Use Leftover Beads
Autumn Bead Fairs
Tweet a link to this newsletter to all your followers – just click here.
Join our 15,500 fans and follow us on Twitter at MrBead@UKMrBead and Nigel at Nigel@NigelMckay
Our Bead Shop at MrBead.co.uk or MrBead.com
15% Off Anything From MrBead
Autumn Bead Fair Reports
Beads Up North – 29th September
We done very well, despite slightly less visitors and exhibitors.
It’s bad news Gordon, now over 70-years-old, has had enough and decided to step down organising this great long-standing bead fair.
However, don’t despair, we have decided to take over with Southampton Bead Shop and keep the show going! At this beautiful venue in Haydock Race Course, just off the M6. Put it in your diary: Sunday 26th April & Sunday 13th September 2020. Pic is ‘Ave a Go ladies.
Bath Gem n Bead Fair – 5th-6th October
This was one of the worse Gem n Bead Fairs’ we’ve exhibited at, and we won’t return next year. Very few visitors, but it was a nice hall upstairs overlooking a dog show on the race course. Can’t win them all!
Norwich Bead Fair – 13th October
Fantastic! We took a lot more in a few hours, than two days at Bath. This was our second best ever Norwich show, with many visitors, all spending well. And a great atmosphere in the warm cozy, newsy-refurbished hotel hall – the free mince pies, coffee and other refreshments went well!
The Big Bead Show – 19th October
This is always our best show, with more visitors, more atmosphere and more money than any other.
However, takings and visitors were a little down on usual – with around 50 exhibitors, there used to be 80! Still good though. Pic is part of the long queue to enter at 10am.
Newton Abbot Gem n Bead Fair – 26th-27th October
We love the West Country, and always stay a little longer before or after a show.
Newton Abbot was disastrous on the Saturday due to torrential rain – but Sunday made up with many regular visitors. It’s great for us at this show, as we have lots of room to show all our beads.
Cheshire Bead Fair – 3rd November
Our best Cheshire Bead Fair to date (or I can remember)! A slow start, but picked up rapidly. Lots of visitors, old and new, resulting in many large and small sales.
The 3pm close worked well – although we were still selling at this time, it allowed us to load the van in the light.
TOURMALINE FOR LOVE & FRIENDSHIP
Tourmaline beads are extremely popular right now. Available in many colours, although pink is the most common. It is said to be the gemstone of love and friendship.
It’s name originates from ‘tura mali’: meaning like ‘stone with mixed colours’. Usually found in granite mined in Brazil or Africa.
Tourmaline is believed to combine creativity and discipline, and is a natural source of negative ions and far infrared rays. Far infrared therapy is common to heal in Japan.
It is also thought to improve circulation, good for digestion, relieve stress, increase mental alertness and strengthen the immune system. As well as creating peace and communication between the conscious and unconscious minds.
Tourmaline, along with opal, is the gemstone for October.
See our new tourmaline category: Tourmaline Beads
HOW TO USE LEFTOVER BEADS – DON’T THROW ANYTHING AWAY!
Every beader is eventually left with out-of-fashion beads that they can’t use. You could try selling them at a fair in a bargain box, but in all probability, they’ll be hard to shift. Strangely, people can sense if the stock is stale. Customers’ are looking for new.
In these financially-tough times, you need to consume everything. Fortunately it is possible to use these odd beads to make jewellery that will sell.
Don’t be afraid to disassemble old jewellery. Unstring the beads and mix them with new beads in a different design
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS:
1) Separate all your leftover beads into three different sizes and place each size in its own cup.
2) Take any bead at random from one of the cups and lay it out for a necklace on your beading board.
3) Then add a bead from a different size cup, and so on. If the beads are small, add a few, before a large bead – to build uniformity to the design.
4) After you’ve laid out half the necklace length, look at the design and see where you can add spacers or caps to improve the style.
In a short time, you’ll end up with an original freeform necklace!
Bead tablecloth weights
Table cloth or cup weights make great presents, especially for summer BBQs. Take a silver bulldog clip and thread wire through the hole.
Loop it back on itself, and slide a crimp over both pieces, pulling it tight to the clip. Squash the crimp flat to hold the wire in place.
Thread beads onto both strands of wire and finish with a crimp to hold the beads in place. The weights are then clipped onto the corner of a tablecloth to prevent the wind from blowing it off.
OTHER IDEAS FOR BEAD MAKING:
- Put individual beads on head pins & make a dangle bracelet.
- Simple loop earrings.
- Put them on headpins & attach a jump ring or clasp to make a necklace.
- Make cell phone charms or key chains from individual beads.
- Make toggles for bathroom light pulls.
- Sell larger beads on their own as lucky charms.
- Christmas tree decorations.
- Make mobiles to hang in young children’s bedrooms.
- Beaded serviette holders.
15% Off Anything From MrBead
Autumn Bead Fairs – Only three to go!
- Sat & Sun 9th-10th November: Kempton Park Gem n Bead Fair, Kempton Park Racecourse, London TW16 5AQ.
- Sat & Sun 16th-17th November: Brighton Gem n Bead Fair, Brighton Racecourse, Brighton BN2 9XZ.
- Sat & Sun 30th Nov – 1st Dec, New Date: Burges Hall Gem n Bead Fair, One Leisure, Westwood Rd, St Ives, Cambs PE27 6WU. We’ll also have some of our ready-made jewellery in boxes – great for Xmas presents.
April 2019 is the 14th full year of the MrBead newsletters, and I thank you all for such enthusiastic comments and appreciation. To see the past newsletters click here.
- Beading tips, help & design ideas
- Free to join!
- Established in 2005
- Discount vouchers & free shipping
- You can change your address or un-subscribe anytime
Always Free Post on UK Orders Over £30!
For free UK shipping from our bead store enter FREEPOST at the checkout at http://www.MrBead.co.uk